ShareThis

Saturday, March 26, 2011

.. when every single day, you die a little more?

Modern society is so caught up in being every where as quickly as possible that many of us simply 'forget' to appreciate the here and now. The shortness of life must be one of the most widely espoused subjects of literature and art; seemingly getting lost in translation for many of the intended audience. It is thus with some trepidation that I breach this subject but I feel it is important, for myself if for nobody else.

Who actually listens when people talk about the brevity of life? I didn't. These stories and opinions exist as a sort of existential white noise until you have a watershed moment of tranquillity, always there but never quite heeded until it is far too late.  When you finally understand, deep down in your soul, that the clock has been running since the day you were born and keeps on ticking every single second; that's when you know the true value of life. I had my 'moment' a long time before most; at the tender age of 14. I was diagnosed with several chronic illnesses; now known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

It was then at the age of 14 that I was told my life was over. Having been already bedridden for months on end, I was told every single dream I would ever have would never be finished, forever an unfinished tapestry of what could have been. There was no cure, no foreseeable cure and nothing that could be done to ease my suffering. I was simply told to come to grips with the sad reality that awaited me.

Of course, this was not the end of the story.

Seven years onward from that my life has changed drastically; I've achieved more than I would have ever dreamed of given the circumstances but that isn't actually the topic of my post today; merely the story behind why I feel this way.

It took a chronic debilitating illness which robbed me of my youth for me to realise that life was more important than merely just getting by. Please, I urge each and every individual who reads this to reconsider their dreams and make the first step towards acheiving them.

Every single person in the world today needs to live a life which flourishes, which brings colour into the world and which enables the people you love to do the same.

We need a world that identifies the important thing in life and sets out to acheive them each and every day.

After all, if you won't make the first step towards realizing your dreams, who will...


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 The Radical Change.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.