ShareThis

Thursday, July 19, 2012

There is something that you should know about me. 

I have steadily gained a burgeoning reputation among friends, family and acquaintances for one simple reason, I love hugs. I love them. People know acknowledge me as the 'hugging man' and when they put out their hand for a handshake, often get drawn into a bear hug whilst hearing the words 'I believe in hugs, not handshakes'. There is many reasons for that, but I truly believe that anyone who does not hug, misses out on something awesome. 

It is with that philosophy that I hit the streets of Melbourne to loudly sing the benefits of the hug, but of course, with everything on my list there was a twist. It was not simply enough to give someone a free hug, I wanted to be memorable, I wanted to do something that would make someones day, I wanted to make them stop and appreciate their life .. so that's what we did. 

This idea had been struck in my head over two years ago, to give out free hugs in the city of Melbourne, a place where people are often too busy to appreciate the world we live in. I wanted to take them back to a place where they noticed everything, were joyful and full of happiness at the smallest thing. I wanted to bring them back to their childhood.

There was only one thought in my mind that could bring that kind of rejuvenating joy back into the lives of many. 

Sesame Street.

A staple of children's programming for the last umpteen years, everybody loves the Sesame Street crew.  With that thought in mind, myself and my brother dressed up as two of the most loved Sesame St. Characters, being Elmo and the Cookie Monster to bring joy, happiness and hugs to the streets of Melbourne. 

The result was fantastic with children of all ages, ranging from two years old barely out of the pram, five year old's with a sparkle in the eye compared to the elderly 90 year old's shuffling for hugs, only beaten in their enthusiasm by the hordes of teens, young adults and shop-owners who congregated around us at every opportunity. 

We were helped by excellent costumes, supplied by Masquerade Costumes but I am still unsure of whether I could ever make it as a mascot. They are hot, visibility is low and you sweat a lot, which is great for exercise but needing to take life-saving breaks every 15 minutes is not so great. In fact, one of my best friends and I swapped over so I could have a break on the way home. 

On occasions we stopped traffic, almost at every corner we created a buzz and a vast following and at one point, we even snuck into a wedding at the brides bequest. It was without a doubt, a once in a lifetime experience, that is, if we didn't intend on making it a tradition. 

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, these photos must be worth a million hugs. 


  
















1. Play Laser Tag in a Suit
2. Play in my Church's Worship Band.
3. Go on a spontaneous roadtrip
4. Watch the sunrise from the top of a mountain.
5. Throw Darts at Paint-filled balloons.
6. Go Paintballing
7. Go to the Zoo
8. Have a Picnic
9. Go wild whilist listening to Muse/Radiohead (whichever comes first) live.
10. See three unknown/unsigned bands live.
11. Finish an 80km bike ride in one day
12. Go on a mission trip
13. Go away with mates
14. Climb a big rock for no apparent reason
15. Go on a hike
16. Go Microlighting
17. Have A Cardboard War!
18. Go to the Aquarium.
19. See a movie at the Moonlight Cinema
20. Go on a roadtrip to another state
21. Go 4wding
22. Ice-skating
23. Get into the cockpit of an aeroplane
24. Run 10km.
25. Dress up as Sesame St Characters and give out Free Hugs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This literally was the best fun ever! So much memories not only for the present, but for years to come =D

Anonymous said...

This makes me so happy!

Jimmy Young said...

You're telling me! So many good memories. Spread the love and tell everybody so we can have it again heaps better next year!

Bel said...

i had so much fun, i feel blessed i got to do this with you.

Anonymous said...

So much happy.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 The Radical Change.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.