Leaving Port Fairy early on New Years Day before bunking down at home for the night; I awoke early on the 2nd of January with a 200km drive ahead of me. The time flew and the kiloemetres melted away and soon enough, three and a half hours later I arrived at the Prom with great excitement.
The first day was continued set up of the camspite while we built up to our first open tent of the two week period that the team was down at the prom for. Open tents were essentially a time in which anyone over the age of 18 could come into a massive tent and chill out, doing anything from playing tabletennis and the guitar to getting into some of the most epic card games known to mankind (anything from Poker to Killer Uno!)
The whole point of the Open Tent, and indeed the whole mission was to break down peoples misconceptions of Christians as whole, and if the opportunity arose to be able to share a little bit of your own story about why you chose to follow Christ.
I was actually surprised with the ease that people accepted our presence within the camp, a majority of the campers quickly realising that we weren't a group of crazy bible-bashers, but simply a team of normal people with an strong belief in a man who was decidedly un-normal, even today transcending generations in his overwhelming love, grace kindness and mercy.
Aside from the Open Tent running every night, on alternating days we ran either a free cooked breakfast in the morning or sports games on the (stunning) Tidal River beach.
Not surprising, the free cooked breakfasts; complete with bacon, eggs and pancakes were a huge success with consistently over 80 people coming to get their stomachs filled with free baked goodness whilst the sports games (starting with Beach Volleyball and Beach Cricket) quickly developed into extremely competitive matches with bodies flying everywhere in marked desperation to propel either of the opposing teams over the line.
I think my favorite aspect of camping down there was the genuine relationships that the vibe down there fostered, with intentional-led conversations meaning the groundwork was easy to lay and friendships quick to follow.
However, the mission itself was not the only highlight of my time down at Tidal River, despite it being the sole reason for my being down there. Many of the tasks I had set myself have tumbled (and in fact, I enjoyed a task I had already completed so much, I did it twice!) bringing my total up to fifteen, which leaves me squarely at the official halfway mark of The Radical Change.
Some of the goals to tumble whilst down at Tidal River include
0 comments:
Post a Comment