ShareThis
Monday, February 7, 2011
This was recently posted in a comments section of my post, 'The Change' and struck a chord with me. Watch it and actually consider some of the points.
I had over 600 friends on facebook. I haven't lost any friends in real life however, despite not being on facebook for over 3 months. In all likelihood I've made more friends and deepened existing relationships.
Whats with that? Are friends on facebook meaningless? I don't think so, but they can cloud the true situation of our lives, presenting only what we want people to see. Friend has become such a diluted word on Facebook, a more honest assessment would read 'associates' or 'long-lost acquaintances'; or perhaps even better would be 'potential real-life friends'.
I would catch up regularly with around 30 people. By that, I mean I see them more than once in a month. That's pretty good in my eyes.
Facebook can also force us to become more materialistic and judgemental. I'm not the only one whose logged in to see a friends profile only to think 'dude, what happened to you?!' or 'man .. he's got it all together'. Only getting a brief snapshot of peoples lives, we judge them by what they show and it can be brutal. I've learnt to give people more of a chance.
Facebook is a great tool to catch up with people but its an even better tool for snooping, stalking and letting out information into the public domain that you would never tell people in real life.Sometimes life is better when people can surprise you with their life. Scratch that, life is always better like that.
Also. I don't have to deal with peoples horrendous spelling.
What would make you 'get off' Facebook? Did the youtube clip make you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I was off facebook for a few months and then I went back. It was never the same again. It's merely for reconnecting and connecting with my relatives and friends from childhood. I think I've told you this. Congratulations, Jimmy.
PS. I love Italy. I was in Roma, Milan, Pisa, Bologna and Modena :)
I think I am going to get rid of it soon. Only job will be collecting the e-mails and numbers of people that I actually want to stay in touch with. It's funny how much time can be spent on such meaningless interaction though.... especially when I should be studying or out doing more exciting things! You set a wonderful example for all of us ;) and the video is really cool too...
love it man, lost your blog for a while there but have found it n caught up with all your adventures..especially love this one and the tidal river one..missions are sweet as man, i did red frogs n was mint
keep up the great work
Mate! So glad to hear from you. Tidal River was so good, where did you do Red Frogs? Would of been great.
i went to phillip island..met some great young people n had an awesome team to work with
love your work man
Post a Comment