For the most part, I believe myself to be a reasonable man; that is, a man of moderate intelligence who can follow logic to its conclusion... But then sometimes, I have crazy ideas that destroy logic.
This was one of those ideas.
This particular feat has been a long time coming, with probably the most planning and money behind it. With that said and done, it was easily one of the most satisfying. One of my closest friends joked a while ago whilst on a drive to the beach that we 'should totally go to Sydney and see City and Colour'... and then we did.
Sydney is approximately 875 km away from Melbourne, and we drove there and back in three days, plus had a full on day in Sydney trying to fit in all the sights. However, four amazing friends and an almost limitless supply of goodtimes and music is always a good recipe.
Leaving on the 5th of April with a car that could only be described as a living miracle - in that it survived the entire trip sans blowing up - we had no idea what lay ahead. Verdict? Roadtrips are freakin' sweet.
We saw some of the oddest attractions in the world. You've heard about the Big Pineapple right? How about the big freakin' submarine in the middle of nowhere? Literally, the middle of nowhere.
How about a double rainbow? It was there. I saw it! Awesome.
Sydney itself is a beautiful place, especially the botanical gardens. Our hostel was in Kings Cross, but close enough to the surrounds to make it a perfect location. We took two hours to walk from the hostel, not through length of the walk but merely because strolling through the parks of Sydney was spectacular.
I think I'm captivated by water, but the whole sensation of being surrounded by a bay of water that could actually be called beautiful was something I truly enjoyed (I'm sorry Melbourne, neither Port Melbourne nor Williamstown count as beautiful). We were set upon by stunning weather, almost as if Sydney had opened itself up for a day or two to allow us to see its real inner being. We traversed the 'must-see's - that is; The Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge - before catching a ferry over to Manly beach to relax before the evenings entertainment.
Moving onwards to the crux of the trip, I have honestly never looked forward to a concert as much as I had this one. Not only were City and Colour, one of my all-time favorite bands playing but they were (VERY) ably supported by a little-known band called Hey Rosetta! who have quickly become one of my favorite bands. If you haven't heard of them, listen to THIS! Utterly fantastic.
They more than back up their music live with an energetic and upfront persona that will win them many admirers in the years to come. I honestly love them to bits.
That said, the main act was always going to be hard to beat and that remained true. Dallas Green is a superb musician, a fantastic entertainer and an all-round nice guy. I feel badly for everyone who wasn't us that night. Even though we were sitting literally in the nosebleed section (row Z) of the Enmore Theatre, we were witnesses to a truly great show; worthy of driving 1800 KM and spending an entire day on the road to see.
He played some of his newer songs, plus some of the older favorites (Waiting .., The Girl etc) but he switched them up, either changing their tempo or composition to provide a totally unique concert experience.
I fear I've already gone on too long now; thus I will now leave you with some of the nicer photos taken on this trip.
I hope you enjoy them!
I hope you enjoy them!
With that,
I bid you adieu.
1. Play Laser Tag in a Suit
2. Play in my Church's Worship Band.
3. Go on a spontaneous roadtrip
4. Watch the sunrise from the top of a mountain.
5. Throw Darts at Paint-filled balloons.
6. Go Paintballing
7. Go to the Zoo
8. Have a Picnic
9. Go wild whilist listening to Muse/Radiohead (whichever comes first) live.
10. See three unknown/unsigned bands live.
11. Finish an 80km bike ride in one day
12. Go on a mission trip
13. Go campling with mates
14. Climb a big rock for no apparent reason
15. Go on a hike
16. Go Microlighting
17. Have A Cardboard War!
18. Go to the Aquarium.
19. See a movie at the Moonlight Cinema
20. Go on a roadtrip to another state
I bid you adieu.
0 comments:
Post a Comment