ShareThis

Monday, May 14, 2012


This is part four of a series on the cost of porn. Let's get real about the cost of porn on what is most likely the most important person in your life, yourself. This will be raw, unchecked and real.

I speak as a loving, caring and generally nice, Christian man who started looking at porn at the age of 13 and could not stop despite repeated efforts. I'm not coming from a 'stuck up, i'm so much better than this' place. I'm coming from the perspective of a man fighting in the trenches, bloody and beaten up from too many battles, too many wars and too many failed attempts to even begin describing them.

I speak as someone who could quite easily have been addicted to it, depending on your definition of the word. If you mean addicted like "cannot stop despite desperately wanting to" then yeah, I was an addict. The problem is, so many of my fellow men and woman are shackled by the same thing. We tell ourselves that it's ok, that everyone struggles and that we could stop at any time but we never really count the cost of our actions.

So let's get real.

What is the actual cost of looking at porn, to you?

#1 - Porn rewires your brain until you lose sight of reality.

Watching porn creates momentarily, intensely pleasurable experiences. It also creates neural pathways. Over time, these neural pathways become stronger; every time you look at porn they are reinforced. They then become the automatic pathway through which interactions with the opposite sex are diverted into. You have unknowingly created a circuit that imprisons your ability to see the opposite sex in reality.

This isn't surprising, as an orgasm is one of the biggest reinforcers imaginable. If you associate orgasms with your wife, then your wife is what, over time, will turn you on. If you associate orgasms with porn, then over time, that is what it will take to turn you on...

You lose the ability to define what actually appeals to you, what 'turns you on', what you find 'sexy', what you find attractive and what you want in a member of the opposite sex.

Porn does not free sexuality and it does not free you to have a long-lasting relationship. It shackles it, brings it down and destroys both.

You lose the ability to love someone for who they are.

You lose reality.

#2 - Porn can, and will control you.

I have never met anyone who is 'in control' of their porn. I have met many men who are slaves to porn, regardless of whether they know it or not. They think that they can use porn as a 'tool', for just a bit of fun or relaxation but what happens is that they respond to the porn, not the other way around.

They are quite literally pawns in the game of porn. Checkmate.

When the pull of porn has you responding then you are under its control, not the other way around. When I first started viewing porn, I was in control. I was the one who decided if I would look at it. Very quickly, the relationship became reversed. Its pull was overpowering, the temptation putting me into situations where I would lie, hide and actively break my own moral desires to feed this insatiable beast that was never satisfied.

Are you in control of your porn, or is your porn in control of you?

#3 - Porn destroys true beauty.

For most of human history, our erotic images have been reflections of real woman or men, idolized for their curves or their body shape. For the first time in history, real naked people are just bad porn - Naomi Wolf.

Porn has a unique effect. It destroys real beauty by delivering what the world says is beautiful. It distorts it to the stage that beauty is in fact, no longer recognizable.

Make no mistake, porn is a fantasy world. It pulls you further and further in until you are no longer able to separate fantasy from reality. It emphasizes what you will never find and leaves you with an expectation that can never be satisfied.

You lose sight of what is truly beautiful.

In a relationship, be it a friendship, dating or marriage, one of the most beautiful things is the incomplete, messed up beauty you find in each other. Knowing all those little idiosyncrasies is what real friendship is all about, loving people’s imperfection.

What you find in porn is incomplete perfection. You see, porn sells perfection, but it is neither complete nor satisfying. It distorts the truth by selling itself as an end product, as reality. It masquerades as beauty, by concealing its incomplete core. Have you ever wondered why after looking at porn you are never satisfied despite getting what you want?

This goes both ways.

By looking at porn, guys will never find the beauty they seek. By having porn as a standard, you will destroy the very beauty you seek. No woman can measure up to the fantasy that porn conjures up and by even thinking it; men take another step towards fulfilling a destiny of dissatisfaction. The more you delve into the fantasy world of porn, the less chance you have of finding your life partner. 

By reading erotic novels and looking at porn, women destroy the very manhood they seek. The amount of times I've heard a woman remark they want a 'real man' yet actively seek an incomplete version of one portrayed on any glossy magazine. He may have a six-pack, rock-hard pecs and a chiselled jaw but that cannot satisfy you. It also destroys the beauty to be found in real manhood, one rooted in responsibility, purpose and overcoming challenges.

#4. Porn destroys security, adequacy and safety. 

My girlfriend wrote this section. She's awesome. 

From a woman's perspective  there is nothing more degrading than knowing you are inadequate. In today's society, beauty is related to what you look like on the outside, what you can do with your body and how good you are at it.

Some of this is true, but we have to understand that beauty is so much more than what you look like.

Where do our feelings of inadequacy come from? Mostly, the come from feeling that we are not beautiful enough, that our bodies are not perfect enough, that we can't use them perfectly and that we are not very good at whatever we can do.

For a woman to be compared to another woman is utterly terrifying, yet it happens all the time. We compare ourselves to woman, all the time. This activity has become so embedded in us that we not only compare ourselves to girls we meet, but to fantasized images found in porn.

A little while ago I unintentionally viewed a porn site and was disgusted. It wasn't what I saw that disgusted me, because it was only a fleeting glimpse before I shut it down but rather my stomach felt overwhelmingly sick. All of a sudden, from what I saw, I was overcome with feelings of inadequacy, unworthiness, ugliness and sadness.

Immediately I saw all of my flaws and felt a load of expectations settle on me.

It crushed me.

It isn't just what a guy says that shows a girl that he loves her, but it is what he does. Making the effort to eradicate porn and say 'I want real, live beauty. I want you' says more than you could ever imagine.

To know that I don't have to measure up to some unrealistic reprenstation of what is 'beautiful' is reassuring. Knowing that I am in a relationship where beauty means walking through pain, saving all I have to give to one person who is saving all they have to give back rather than giving it to anyone will take it, being loyal through adversity means more to me than I can communicate.

Porn will always be a lie. It will never be a reality.

It only has a fleeting effect, whereas knowing real beauty is actually having that tangible beauty by your side to share life (including sex) with is something that leaves a permanent effect.

Porn alters our perceptions of what beauty really is, because it will always be a fake, unachievable fantasy.

So why settle?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 The Radical Change.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.